[mythtv-users] FC5 -> FC6 x86_64 backend & frontend upgrade(s)?

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Tue Apr 10 16:43:08 UTC 2007

On Tue, Apr 10, 2007 at 10:32:28AM -0600, Peter Abplanalp wrote:

> ----- "Axel Thimm" <Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net> wrote:
> > I think the fastest way is
> >
> > o Insert DVD & DVD-upgrade procedure
> > o Make sure smart channels point to vendor & atrpms' FC6 instead of
> >   FC5 channels
> > o smart upgrade --update && smart fix
>
> i'm new to this whole "in place"/network upgrade so forgive me if
> i'm asking a stupid question but how about:
>
> 1. Install the fedora-release package from fc6
> 2. Run yum upgrade

You can try that, too, but I think yum's memory footprint will be
quite large. And if a package dependency has gone stray it will abort
the whole upgrade. You may have more luck with smart or apt, but the
DVD install is the surest and fastest way to upgrade. You will waste
the bandwidth anyway whether it's with a DVD/CD download or by package
by package downloads.

> historically i've either used the cd's (which i assume is what you
> mean when you mention "anaconda") or just done new installs.
> however, if the above works, it makes the fedora core "upgrade
> treadmill" i little less painfull.

Let me rephrase it: If it works for a conventional Fedora upgrade it
would work for a Fedora & ATrpms enriched one, but IIRC this time
there wasn't even a recipe on how to yum-upgrade from FC5 to FC6 (for
FC3 and FC4 to the respective next release there was one)

FWIW I used a combination of apt and smart, "apt upgrade" is
infinitely faster than yum or smart. For the fine-tuning I use smart,
since there are a couple of situations that smart handles better than
apt, just not the real bulky ones.

But for the novice ones the DVD upgrade method outline above is the
safest and fastest method to get to your goal. And you can reuse the
DVD for further installs/upgrades.
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net