[mythtv-users] Mobo recommendations

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Mon Apr 9 16:35:09 UTC 2007

On Apr 9, 2007, at 10:12 AM, Yan Seiner wrote:

> Mailing Lists wrote:
>>>

>> Have you tried disabling acpi in the bios and in the kernel?
>
> No.  I'll give it a shot...
>

> Right now I'm looking at a Tyan Tomcat i7230A - i t should do the
> trick but it's $$$$.  If I can save that money, that would be great.

You really *should* be able to make that original mobo work.

Check some of the obvious stuff as well. Turn off any onboard
peripherals that are not being used, like floppy controllers, USB/FW
controllers, second ethernet ports, game/midi ports, on-board video
if not actually being used, timers and watchdogs of any sort -
basically anything you are not actually using. The acpi suggestion is
a very good one.

cat /proc/interrupts to see what's actually going on with IRQs, and
look over your bootlog (dmesg) carefully to see if it gives you any
useful information.

My experience has been that 99 times out of 100 these sort of
problems turn out to be something simple and stupid, and the more
these mobo makers try to "help" us the more problems they seem to cause.

Brian Wood
beww at beww.org