[mythtv-users] Mobo recommendations

Yan Seiner yan at seiner.com
Mon Apr 9 15:30:23 UTC 2007

Brian Wood wrote:
> On Apr 9, 2007, at 8:40 AM, Yan Seiner wrote:
>

>> OK, I'm throwing in the towel....  My Gigabit mobo has got to go....
>>
>> Anyone have any recommendations for a mobo that has (ideally) 4 PCI
>> slots (3 min), 1 PCIe-16x slot, can handle 4 SATA drives, and actually
>> works well with Myth?
>>

> I'm assuming you want a board that will work with your existing CPU,
> and I'm more of an AMD fellow and don't know much about the Intel chips.

Yeah, so am I...  Every other self-built box in the house is an AMD.  I
bought this on recommendation from a friend; perhaps it works well under
Windows but it sucks under linux.

I'm looking to transplant the Core2Duo and the DDR400 memory as well.

> I've had good luck with the Asus mobos that use the nforce chipsets.
> I've had some bad experiences with VIA-based boards and the SiS-based
> Asus boards I've used fall somewhere in between.
>
> But of course this is limited to my own experience, I'm sure there
> are folks who would say the exact opposite.

:-)

Mostly I want reliability.  I don't understand why ivtv is dropping data
when the CPU usage is 2-3%, unless the bus/southbridge/whatever can't
handle irq or there is some other problem on the board.

I've built low-latency kernels, high-throughput kernels, moved cards
around, no joy.

Apparently if the eth gets busy, the hard drives become nearly
inacessible....

--Yan