[mythtv-users] All's well with DataDirect again (not really)

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Mon Apr 9 14:27:38 UTC 2007

On Apr 9, 2007, at 7:46 AM, Ivan Kowalenko wrote:

>> Times are also still wrong for other shows if I dig in and compare
>> them to the listings on my replayTV.
>
> Well, ReplayTV gets its listings from elsewhere, so that'll explain
> the difference.
>
>> So no all is not well again in the Data Direct service.

I'll bet that the ultimate source for Replay is Tribune Media, though
I don't know for sure.

I have a Mac running EyeTV which uses "TitanTV" to get listings which
are actually derived from Tribune. This did not have any of the
"problems" discussed here recently with DD. The "problems" do not
seem to be with Tribune's database but with the interface to the DD
system somehow.

I thought about getting the Titan listings parsed somehow and into
the Myth box but I figured that by the time I got that figured out
the matter would be resolved, plus I think it would have violated the
EULA for the Titan stuff. I really do try and stay legal but it's
hard when the lawyers who wrote the stuff can't agree on what it
means, another reason to try and stay with open-source software.

Interestingly the question was raised as to how long Titan had a firm
commitment from Tribune, and the answer was 2 years. They did not
"anticipate" problems extending that, but there were no guarantees.

I can't say as I blame Tribune for that. Long-term commitments in
fast-changing industries are bad business in a lot of ways, and
Tribune is a business, not a charity.

So for $75 I got a software product that *might* be worthless in 2
years, but probably will continue to work. It can do some things Myth
can't and it is commercially-supported (not that I need or even want
that "feature").

Brian Wood
beww at beww.org