[mythtv-users] Suggestion for Wireless Game Controllers

Ivan Kowalenko ivan.kowalenko at gmail.com
Mon Apr 9 12:03:26 UTC 2007

On Apr 4, 2007, at 07.48, Tom Weichmann wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am looking for some nice wireless game controllers to go with
> Myth.  Does anyone have suggestions?  It always seems hard to find
> info about what controllers have Linux support.

Well, I actually have some experience in a parallel field:
controllers with FOSS drivers for OS X. Not exactly the same, but
usually coding for Linux precedes OS X.

Getting an XBox adaptor with a wireless dongle is a pretty safe bet.
You get ten buttons, a pair of analog sticks, two analog triggers,
and pressure sensitive buttons. However, I've never been a fan of
third party controllers. They either feel too cheap, are made too
poorly, or never fit my hands right. However, this is a personal
feeling. Logitech makes a nice controller, with a good weight,
vibration, and a reliable signal (good for over 70 feet and a couple
walls, not that you'll be needing that kind of range), but I feel its
design is awkward. However, I am the only one of my friends to claim
this.

The Wiimote (mentioned by Gary Mort) is a nice little thing, but a
little unconventional. It communicates via BlueTooth, but not sure
what kind of actual real controller support it has in the Linux
community (right now, the most stable OS X hack has the Wiimote
commands translated as key strokes). Two things to beware of with the
Wiimote is the number of buttons and the nunchuck. The Wiimote itself
only has about seven buttons, one of which is on the underside of the
controller, and only features a digital directional pad. Depending on
the game you're trying to play, that might not be enough. This brings
me to the second part of my notice: the nunchuck. I don't know what
the state of nunchuck support is in Linux, so you may not get the
additional two buttons and analog stick (some info here, http://
www.wiili.org/index.php/Wiimote/Extension_Controllers/Nunchuk). On
the plus side, if you rig up a few IR-LEDs, you can probably use it
as a mouse for (literal) point-and-click interfacing (don't know if
the mouse interface exists yet for Myth, though).

The XBox 360 controller is, in my opinion a very nice controller. I
have a wired one, but wireless support exists for OS X and I'll bet
it exists for Linux too. It'll run you something like $50 (sorry, if
you need an international price quote, you'll have to say where), and
unless you buy a battery pack, it runs off of AA batteries.

The PS3's controller (SIXAXIS) (mentioned by Brian Wood) is kind of
nice. It feels almost too light, but is a bit more comfortable than
the DualShock 2 controllers. While Sony says its peripherals speak
BlueTooth, my one experience with a PS3 and my Mac has taught me that
a SIXAXIS controller in "sync" mode does not necessarily show right
up on the 'ol BlueTooth Device Scan. My theory is that, for syncing
at least, the SIXAXIS controller uses a modified discovery mode, to
prevent from being used for this purpose. As far as the USB jack
goes, Brian Wood is correct in assuming that it's only used for DC
charging.

Can't speak much for Made-For-PC controllers, since I haven't bought
one in years, so you're on your own with that one. Hope this helps
you out, and doesn't come too late.