[mythtv-users] When does "Delete and Re-record" actually Re-record?

Bruce Markey bjm at lvcm.com
Sun Apr 8 22:18:31 UTC 2007

Jerome Yuzyk wrote:
> There is something I don't understand:

Yes.

>  When I choose to Delete and Rerecord

There should be no such option. There is, however, an option
in mythfrontend on the delete popup that says "Yes, and allow
re-record" [sic].

> something I've already recorded, shouldn't the next showing of the title be
> selected to record?

The next time a showing matches an existing record rule that
would check for duplicates, it would be allowed to record rather
than marking the showing as "Previously Recorded".

> I had recorded a movie, and then because I was running out of space and there

Being a movie I would assume meant that you recorded this as
"Record only this showing". If that were the case, the time of
that showing has come and gone.

> Shouldn't it be queued to be re-recorded?

No. If you want to delete a movie that was recorded with "Record
only this showing" you need to set a new rule to actively record
it in the future. You can do this a couple ways. Press "O" in
mythfrontend to get a list of upcoming showings where you could
pick one to record. If there are no upcoming showings, press "I"
to get to the recording options and set a new rule for "Record
one showing of this title". In this case, even if there are no
upcoming showings of the movie, this FindOne rule will wait
until it is shown again and record it once regardless of the
channel, date or time.

You may want to use FindOne even if there are upcoming showings
so that the scheduler will have the flexibility to choose a showing
that does not conflict. If you record with a FindOne rule and
notice that there is a problem with the recording, you can choose
"Yes, and allow re-record" to delete and the rule will continue
looking for a showing to record. If you wait a couple days or
more then you would need to set a new rule to record the movie
again in the future.

--  bjm