[mythtv-users] alsa sound problem with two pchdtv-5500 cards

Bob Sully rcs at malibyte.net
Sun Apr 8 22:09:00 UTC 2007

To revive an old thread...it seems that if you fix one bug, two more show
up.  I looked through gossamer-threads and found that someone had posted
about a similar issue, but never posted a note about a fix.

I have new hardware in my Myth box.  Because of problems with sound (see
sound cards), and to upgrade my motherboard using the same Socket 754
Turion-64 4000+ processor, I picked up an Asus K8N-E Deluxe motherboard on
E-Bay.  This board is based on the nVidia nforce3 250Gb chipset, and comes
with a 7.1ch onboard sound setup (Realtek ALC850) with a coaxial digital
out.  The sound setup uses the snd-intel8x0 module.

I have two pcHDTV 5500 cards.  They're set up in Myth just as on the old
motherboard, using the same /dev/videoX, /dev/vbiX, and dev/dspX analog
options.  The video sources are also linked to the cards as before.

The first 5500 card receives s-video input from a DCT-6200 STB; the audio
from the STB goes to the line input on that 5500, and the line out from
that card is plugged into the line input on the motherboard.  The second
5500 has only raw digital cable input.  In mythtv-setup, the first 5500
gets /dev/dsp (the mobo sound chip) as its analog sound source.

Now, the problem(s):

(1) I have sound on the DVB inputs, but **no sound** on the analog inputs
on both cards (every once in a while it actually does come up on one of
the NTSC inputs, then cuts out if I change channels or inputs (though
there's always sound on the DVB inputs)).  This is the case on this
machine (a BE/FE); I get the same results if I watch TV on a remote
frontend machine upstairs.

(2) (less pressing at the moment) I can't seem to get the SPDIF coaxial
output on the motherboard to work.

This is the result of cat /proc/asound/cards:

 0 [CK8S           ]: NFORCE - NVidia CK8S
                      NVidia CK8S with ALC850 at 0xfebfb000, irq 193
 1 [CX8801         ]: CX88x - Conexant CX8801
                      Conexant CX8801 at 0xfb000000
 2 [CX8801_1       ]: CX88x - Conexant CX8801
                      Conexant CX8801 at 0xf7000000

and this is what's in /etc/modprobe.conf:

alias eth0 forcedeth

alias sound-slot-0 snd-intel8x0
options snd-intel8x0 index=0
remove snd-ca0106 /sbin/modprobe --first-time -r --ignore-remove snd-ca0106
remove snd-intel8x0 /sbin/modprobe -r snd-pcm-oss; /sbin/modprobe
--first-time -r --ignore-remove snd-intel8x0
install snd-intel8x0 /sbin/modprobe --first-time --ignore-install
snd-intel8x0 && { /sbin/modprobe snd-pcm-oss; /bin/true; }
install snd-ca0106 /sbin/modprobe --first-time --ignore-install snd-ca0106

alias sound-slot-1 snd-1
alias snd-1 cx88-alsa
options snd-1 index=1

alias sound-slot-2 snd-2
alias snd-2 cx88-alsa
options snd-2 index=2

options dvb_core dvb_shutdown_timeout=0

install scsi_hostadapter /sbin/modprobe sata_nv; /bin/true
install usb-interface /sbin/modprobe uhci-hcd; /sbin/modprobe ehci-hcd;
/sbin/modprobe ohci-hcd; /bin/true

#LIRC/VFD modules
alias char-major 61 lirc_i2c
alias char-major-61 lirc_imon

#I2C module options
alias char-major-89 i2c-dev

I have messed with all of the possibilities using Alsamixer.  The two
5500s only have one input and no outputs - both are on and at about 88%.

I'm sure someone else must have a similar setup.  Could you clue me in as
to what I have misconfigured??

Thanks...Bob