[mythtv-users] Does Plextor Convertx really need OSS?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sun Apr 8 20:07:12 UTC 2007

On 04/08/2007 11:11 AM, David Snider wrote:
> Is there some
> magic I can do in the capture card settings to tell Mythtv to use an
> alsa device in /dev/snd instead of /dev/dsp1 per the instructions I have
> read?

MythTV support audio output using the ALSA API's.  In mythfrontend
settings (Main General settings on page "Audio Settings" or
something--about page 3 or so), type in "ALSA:default" (case-sensitive)
for "Audio Output Device" and "default" for "Mixer Device."

MythTV does /not/ support audio capture using ALSA API's.  It will
/only/ use OSS API's.  Therefore, if you can't get OSS sound to work,
you'll want a capture card that does audio capture for you, such as the
PVR-150, or a capture card that captures and already-encoded stream,
such as the digital capture cards (pcHDTV or whatever).  Note, though,
that the digital ones require access to digitally-transmitted TV and may
require significantly more system resources to decode (i.e. if you get
HDTV, decoding it in software will stress a 3GHz Pentium 4).

Mike