jdonohue654-mythtv at yahoo.com jdonohue654-mythtv at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 8 19:57:23 UTC 2007

> Date: Sun, 08 Apr 2007 09:11:58 -0600
> From: David Snider <dsnider at thesniderpad.com>
> Subject: [mythtv-users] Does Plextor Convertx really
> need OSS?
> To: Discussion about mythtv
>
> I'm running Gentoo with a
> 2.6.20 kernel and
> Alsa-drivers 1.0.14 (no OSS).  I couldn't get the
> sound card to work
> without the very recent version of Alsa.   Also,
> when I enabled OSS the
> kernel would "oops" when I would load the
> SAA7134_ALSA module, for a
> very cheap sabrent pcitv 7130 card (which also needs
> OSS and therefore
> prompted the purchas of the Plextor device).  So,
> when I set out to
> installing the Plextor device, I can compile all the
> modules and get
> them to load automatically.  /dev/video0 is created
> and I can set it up
> in MythTV and watch live tv with no sound (there is
> no /dev/dspX because
> no OSS).   I do however see the device listed when I
> run "arecord -l",
> so I know that Alsa can see it as a capture device.
>  Is there some
> magic I can do in the capture card settings to tell
> Mythtv to use an
> alsa device in /dev/snd instead of /dev/dsp1 per the
> instructions I have
> read?

When you say you can't run OSS, do you mean not even
the Alsa OSS emulation, or are you only talking about
the actual legacy OSS modules themselves? I don't have
legacy OSS compiled, but I have enabled Alsa OSS
emulation modules. Then I have /dev/dsp1 set as the
sound device for my plextor.

Sorry if that didn't answer the question.