[mythtv-users] mythbackend conflict with Xbox 360

Alex Malinovich demonbane at the-love-shack.net
Sun Apr 8 18:10:26 UTC 2007

Greg Schade wrote:
> On Sat, 2007-04-07 at 20:15 -0700, Alex Malinovich wrote:
>> Ok, at first I thought I was crazy, but I've been able to reproduce this
>> consistently for 2 weeks now.
>>
>> If I turn on my Xbox 360 and go to the Dashboard, mythbackend freaks out
>> and rockets to 100% CPU. The only way to fix it is to restart
>> mythbackend. If I'm playing a classic Xbox game on the 360, I don't get
>> the problem, and if I'm playing a 360 game, I get the problem but not
>> always immediately.
>>
>> With the Dashboard however, it's instant. As soon as I get to the
>> dashboard, I start hearing the fans in my mythbox revving up (which they
>> only do under very heavy processor load). I do a 'top' on the box, and
>> sure enough, mythbackend is at 100% CPU.
>>
>> So, anyone have any ideas?
>
> I used shorewall and just blocked the MAC of the XBOX360's in my house.
> it's the upnp stuff.  .20 --fixes has some kind of fix but shorewall
> seems to be working for me.

I had disabled upnp on my mythbox at first, but I think this might be a
better alternative. I'd like to keep upnp enabled so that the rest of
the devices in the house can all access the media on my myth box.

Do you know if putting it on a separate subnet will be enough?

Since the 360 is apparently useless on a LAN without Windows machines
anyway, I'd like to just set my DHCP server to give it an address in its
own subnet and just add a virtual interface on my router that it can
talk to so it can still get to the outside world.

--
Alex Malinovich
pgp.net keyservers. Key ID: A6D24837