[mythtv-users] mythtv-database error when updating apps in ubuntu

Damian Surr damian at gingermagic.co.uk
Sun Apr 8 15:31:01 UTC 2007

Jon wrote:
> David Campbell wrote:
>
>> Damian Surr wrote:
>>
>>> I get this error whenever I update apps in Ubuntu:
>>>
>>> E: mythtv-database: subprocess post-installation script returned error
>>> exit status 1
>>>
>>> but Myht seems to be using the database fine as far as I can tell. Any
>>> ideas?
>>>
>>> I couldn't see a way to cut and paste the output, so please excuse this,
>>> but it's a link to a screen shot of the output:
>>>
>>> http://www.gingermagic.co.uk/tmp/myth.gif
>>>
>> The Ubuntu package is expecting to be able login to mysql as root
>> without a password - you appear to have a password set.
>>

>> Does beg the question how dpkg managed to do the install if you are sure
>> the db is set up.
>>
>> DC
>>

> If the database is already setup just remove mythtv-database.  It's only
> needed to create the initial database.

Something doesn't feel right about my MYSQL setup. It's the biggest pain
in Mythtv so far for me. Screws me up on every install.  Maybe it's the
way that Ubuntu sets it up, I don't know but it seems like I have to
learn a new programming language to sort any of it out. Being new to
Linux is one thing. Fighting your way through MYSQL is another. Royal
pain in the ass and extremely un user friendly.

Oh well, other people's experiences seem to be better. I just wish I had
the time to put into this thing. My free time is fleeting (barely turned
the Linux box on in the past 2 weeks, never mind tinkering with Myth)
which would make just setting up a user friendly system pressing enough.
MYSQL, xmltv and XvMC problems are too much for me at the moment. Think
the box will be going unused for a while.

Damian