[mythtv-users] Transcoding in hardware alternative to ConvertX ?

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Sun Apr 8 09:35:22 UTC 2007

On Apr 8, 2007, at 2:49 AM, Henk Schoneveld wrote:

> Could this nice little thing be taught some other lessons ?
> http://www.everythingusb.com/ads_instant_video_to-go_12252.html

Thinking about this a little further:

Since it's a USB device it would have to be recognized by the USB
subsystem in the first place, then it would need some sort of driver
for Linux, neither of these things probably are happening right now.

The device is not of great interest to me at the moment for 4 main
reasons:

I have a couple of Plextors.
I have several very fast machines.
I'm not in any great hurry.
For various reasons my system uses MPEG2 at this time.

My feeling is just wait, better devices, Linux drivers and other
alternatives are probably not too far in the future. Hardware help
for outputting H264 would be of more interest at this point.

Just my $0.02US.

Brian Wood
beww at beww.org