[mythtv-users] Fragmentation On Recording Disk?

David Brodbeck gull at gull.us
Sun Apr 8 01:21:22 UTC 2007

jason maxwell wrote:
> Actually, it appears that linux filesystems have been designed to
> minimize fragmentation to begin with. Here's a good, simplified
> explanation of how it works:
> http://geekblog.oneandoneis2.org/index.php/2006/08/17/why_doesn_t_linux_need_defragmenting
> I need to learn to search before announcing my ignorance.

Yes, but note this phrase from that article:

"Fragmentation thus only becomes an issue on Linux when a disk is so
full that there just aren't any gaps a large file can be put into
without splitting it up. So long as the disk is less than about 80%
full, this is unlikely to happen."

Most MythTV users keep their disks pretty full.  On a 200 GB video
drive, keeping it less than 80% full would mean wasting 40 gigabytes, or
nearly a day's worth of recordings at the rate my system uses.  So, we
let the disk get nearly full and stay there, and the filesystem fragments.