[mythtv-users] MythTV Sirius Satellite Radio Integration

Josh TwoOneSix at thatclothingco.com
Sat Apr 7 21:00:36 UTC 2007

Gabe Rubin wrote:
> On 4/6/07, Josh <TwoOneSix at thatclothingco.com> wrote:
>
>> Well, I have finally sat down and integrated Sirius Satellite Radio with
>> both of my MythTV frontends. It was so easy to get setup I figured I'd
>> create a Wiki article to document how I did it. I'm actually pretty
>> happy with the results and I hope people find it useful.
>>

> This is very cool.  I got it up and running within an hour (probably
> because I am slow, could be even quicker).
>
> Some notes and a question or two:
> 1) I had to manually install BeautifulSoup.  To do so:
> # cd /usr/bin
> # wget http://www.crummy.com/software/BeautifulSoup/download/BeautifulSoup.py
>
> 2) entering a captcha was a huge PITA, mainly because of overscan
> issues.  I had to run it several times (and plug a keyboard in the
> frontend).  Next time, I would do this over a vnc session.
>
> 3) Is there any was to display the track name, or bring it up with
> info request?  I made sure the "showplaying = True" is in my config
> file, but nothing happens.  Seems like a great thing for the mythosd
> to be able to show (i unfortunately am not smart enough to figure out
> how to tweak that).
>
> 4) Any way to make this like mythmusic and have visualizations going?
> Right now, it just stays on the menu screen.  I guess that is because
> it is more of a hack than a plug-in, but would be cool to have that!

I'll add those 2 lines to the Wiki this afternoon also, I'm sure others
will find it useful too.

I setup both of my frontends using VNC and it went really smooth so I
should make a note in the Wiki on that also...

One of my front end boxes has the song box overlay that works great but
my other front end that's setup exactly the same doesn't do the screen
overlay but it does shoot the song name to the command window (which
doesn't do me much good in the Myth GUI... once I figure it out I'll
post details on the Wiki so hopefully it will solve your issue also...
but it does work I just need to do some more research.

Exactly! That's why I kept calling it a hack and I'm glad to see T0ny
made my note about it look like a real dialog box now. I don't want
people to expect more then it really offers. Maybe now that sipie has
some exposure, somebody with some real knowledge of C and MythTV can
quickly develop a plug-in that can offer things like that. I only know
enough C to get me in trouble or I would do it myself... I figure that
Sirius and XM will be on a similar streaming setup in the next year or
so and maybe we can knock both out with one plug-in.

Hey, I'm just glad to have quick, easy access to my Sirius account right
from my MythTV. :-)

--
Josh