[mythtv-users] MythTV: Front end hesitation over network

Stroller linux.luser at myrealbox.com
Fri Apr 6 22:24:47 UTC 2007

Your top-posting makes it difficult to read the thread. I'm not
miserable enough to say that top-posting is without merit and that
you should NEVER do it, but when a message you're replying to already
has consecutive posts following underneath each other then top-
posting really interrupts the thread.

Don't worry - I'll fix it for you:

On 6 Apr 2007, at 17:42, Peter A. Daly wrote:
> On 4/6/07, Stroller <linux.luser at myrealbox.com> wrote:
>> On 5 Apr 2007, at 16:48, Lan Barnes wrote:
>>
>>>  The good news is I got MythFE working over the network. Tha
>>> other  news is,  it pauses exery ten seconds or so for about a
>>> half second.
>>>  vendorId: 1260
>>>  deviceId: 3873
>>

>> This <http://pci-ids.ucw.cz/iii/?i=12603873> indicates that your card
>> is only capable of 11mbps 802.11b speeds. You're doing well to get
>> the performance you are!!
>>
>> The prism54 cards <http://pci-ids.ucw.cz/iii/?i=12603890> will do
>> 802.11g and your DI-624 is capable of supporting their 54mbps speeds.
>>
> A wireless gaming adapter may be a simple solution to the problem.
>
> http://www.mythpvr.com/mythtv/hardware/
> wireless_gaming_adapter-802.11g.html

It's a bit clumsy, tho', isn't it?

I mean, on another thread today someone's only complaint about a
product was it's "wall wart" PSU, and the gaming adaptor ITSELF
introduces another extra box that's getting in the way. I'd think
that blue plastic Linksys-branded tupperware would look particularly
out-of-place if you're currently displaying your expensive aluminium
Silverstone HTPC on a shiny and minimalist TV stand.

Mr Barnes has already demonstrated that he's capable of fitting a PCI
wireless card in his computer AND configuring it under Linux. IMO a
faster PCI wireless card is a more logical replacement.

I guess it's still the majority of wireless cards that are
unsupported natively under Linux, but it's getting less & less hard
these days to find a wireless card for which there are OSS drivers -
the main kernel tree now includes drivers for a number of 802.11g cards.

We don't expect scanner manufacturers to support their products with
Linux & we accept binary blobs in our graphics drivers - to my mind
choosing a gaming adaptor rather than configure a wireless network
interface is just giving up!! Manufacturers such as RaLink have made
a degree of effort to distribute source-code drivers for their
products under a reasonable license - as Linux users we're rolling
over & playing dead, IMO, if we choose a gaming adaptor over one of
their cards. We might as well switch to Vista now, if hardware
manufacturers see that we really have no interested in using products
for which there are decent & open drivers.

Stroller.