[mythtv-users] (1) Audigy sound cards; (2) Transcode errors on HD only

Bob Sully rcs at malibyte.net
Fri Apr 6 22:07:28 UTC 2007

Hi all -

I had previously noted an odd phenomenon wherein I would get "echoing" of
the soundtrack on on of my tuner cards (the one which receives the audio
input from my STB) and found that it's due a PCM capture device on the
Audigy sound card which I can't permanently mute.  I also found that if
I'm recording something on either tuner while watching a previous
recording, the sound from the recorded file being watched gets
re-recorded, mixed in along with the soundtrack of the program currently
being recorded.

I see no way to fix this.  I can't mute the PCM record in Myth while
keeping the PCM playback audible, and for some reason I can't permanently
shut off PCM capture in Alsamixer, and Kmix doesn't even show me the
imputs on Audigy cards.

Therefore - I have purchased a new motherboard for this system on E-Bay
which includes 7.1ch onboard sound with coaxial and optical digital sound
outputs, along with a Firewire port, so I can pull the Audigy.

I am recommending to the list that anyone setting up a Myth system NOT use
Creative Labs' Audigy sound cards.  I don't know whether any of their
older cards (e.g. Sound Blaster Live, etc.) would have this same problem
or not.

Also - I notice that any program I record in HD does not get transcoded -
all SD or s-video recordings get transcoded without a problem, but all HD
recordings fail with code 247.  Can anyone clue me in as to why this is
happening?  I haven't changed the default settings for transcoding.

Thanks
Bob