[mythtv-users] Closed Captioning with HDHomerun and PVR-500 (Philips chipset)

Scott list-mythtv at bluecamel.eml.cc
Fri Apr 6 21:36:53 UTC 2007

On Apr 6, 2007, at 5:21 PM, JS Boyd wrote:

> Captions are an issue on my current setup SVN 3181.
>
> ATSC via HDHomerun captions work, but do not have black backgrounds on
> most channels and tend to overwrite on top of each other basically
> making them pretty useless. However, there is an exception. ABC
> primetime programs like "Lost" seem to work properly: logically placed
> black backgrounded captions.

I'm using mythtv-0.20 fixes p13110 on gentoo. I've seen the same
behavior for ATSC captions as you describe. Not sure but I seem to
remember something being committed to the head branch that may help
fix this.

The ABC captions you describe are traditional VBI captions. You can
also select VBI -> CC-1 captions even on HD programs and get the
output you expect. The VBI captions on HD programs works here for my
HD OTA ATSC shows.

--
Scott