[mythtv-users] Control of MythBox over Serial port?

Jonathan Rogers jonner at teegra.net
Fri Apr 6 14:36:57 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-04-06 at 08:38 -0400, Phil Bridges wrote:
> I'm working on integrating my MythBox into a crestron automation
> system.  Unfortunately, I'm unable to use the telnet IP interface to
> Myth for this - this was my first (and preferred) option.
>
> Can anybody think of a way to use the telnet interface over a serial
> port?  Otherwise, is there another way to use the serial port to
> control the box?  Perhaps a "dummy" LIRC instance?

It seems like you need the opposite of a serial port telnet server,
which shouldn't be too hard. You should be able to connect a TCP port
and serial port using socat, the universal stream connector tool, though
it may require some experimentation to discover the right options. I'm
guess it would be something like "socat TCP4:localhost:23 /dev/ttyS0".
You should definitely read the manpage to discover the appropriate tty
options for speed and modes.

Your distro should have a package for socat. Here's the homepage.
<URL:http://www.dest-unreach.org/socat/>

Jonathan Rogers