[mythtv-users] Serial IR receiver should be simplest but...

Angus sylvania at istop.com
Fri Apr 6 01:51:53 UTC 2007

I was told that getting an RS-232 serial IR receiver would be the
simplest way to get a remote control working, but I can't even tell if
what I have is working. The serial port seems correctly setup (dmesg
gives: serial8250: ttyS0 at I/O 0x3f8 (irq = 4) is a 16550A / 00:09:
ttyS0 at I/O 0x3f8 (irq = 4) is a 16550A) but I haven't been able to get
anywhere with irrecord, and I thought by running

cat /dev/ttyS0

I might at least be able to see some sign of life if I pointed a few
remotes at it, but no such luck. Can someone tell me at least how to
*test* the receiver?