[mythtv-users] HDHomeRun

Rich West Rich.West at wesmo.com
Thu Apr 5 21:50:56 UTC 2007

Rich West wrote:
> ryan patterson wrote:
>
>> On 4/5/07, *Willy Boyd* <willyboyd at gmail.com
>> <mailto:willyboyd at gmail.com>> wrote:
>>
>>     On 4/5/07, Rich West <Rich.West at wesmo.com
>>     <mailto:Rich.West at wesmo.com>> wrote:
>>     > After reading past posts on the list and looking at the device
>>     itself
>>     > (on the web page), is it as easy as it claims to be?  That old
>>     phrase of
>>     > "If it's too good to be true, it probably isn't" rings through
>>     my head
>>     > every time I come back to it.  But, from what I have read, a
>>     number of
>>     > people are using it.  What are people's experiences with the
>>     HDHomeRun
>>     > and does the antenna you choose have an impact (I'm sure it
>>     does, but by
>>     > how much)?  Is the HDHomeRun better/worse than getting an
>>     internal HD
>>     > tuner card?
>>     >

>>     FWIW, I got mine Monday and set it up that night.  After plugging
>>     things up and following the instructions (can be found on the wiki or
>>     silicondust's forums, sounds like you've found them), it really was
>>     THAT easy.
>>
>>     You'll have to go through your channels and put in xmltvid's, and
>>     lots
>>     of your scanned channels might not actually tune, but as far as I'm
>>     aware these actions are independent of which HD tuner you end up going
>>     with and would be done regardless.  The real boon for me, was that
>>     this was my first foray into having more than one tuner.  I put in a
>>     two-way splitter on my cable line and instantly had 2 identical
>>     sources to record from.
>>

>> The HDhomerun is very easy to set up and use.  I don't know why Willy
>> Boyd says you have to put in xmltvid's.  I never had to do that.  I
>> can't compare the HDhomerun's tuner against any other HD tuners.  I
>> hooked it up and it gets all my local HD channels.  That is all I know.
>>
>> I am a harsh critic and I rate the HDhomerun as a 9 out of 10.  It
>> loses one point because: no static ip address option, no wall mounting
>> holes, and a wall wart AC adapter.
>>

> It is funny you mention the AC adapter.  That was one of those things I
> was thinking "Aww, crud.  Not another power cube".
>
> I am pretty much sold on the idea of the HDHomeRun.  I think my other
> concerns are more HD related, like planning for the larger file sizes
> (not sure what the ratio is per hour of video), adjusting MythTV to use
> the HD tuners at a higher priority than the PVR-150's already in the
> system (when appropriate), etc.
>
> How hot do these things run, anyhow?
>
> I just I should just go and buy one already. :)
>
> -Rich

Of course I remember this right after I hit send..

How badly (if at all) does the HDHomeRun pound the network?  I've got
one backend with 3 frontends.  I don't think I have had all 3 FE's in
use at the same time, but with HD being pushed TO the BE and back out
again from the BE, will that become a choke point, or am I over
analyzing this?

-Rich