[mythtv-users] DVD Rip - nothing except ISO works

Brian C. Huffman bhuffman at graze.net
Thu Apr 5 18:17:25 UTC 2007

Anduin Withers <awithers at anduin.com> wrote:

> > Yes.  And this has worked in the past - although it has been a while since
> > I've mostly used the ISO rip since it was implemented:
>
> If ISO works, Perfect often works (the other quality levels all do a Perfect
> and then transcode the result), or there will be an error in that mtd.log
> file. The quality of some DVDs, often combined with modern attempts to "not
> let you do that" make mtd fail much more frequently (mtd currently makes no
> attempt to survive a failed nav packet or read)

I'll probably put an strace on mtd to see what's going on here.

A couple more questions though:

1) If watching the movie using the internal player works, why would Perfect or ISO rip not work?  What if I did the rip and checked the "view while ripping" box?  Would that do something differently?

2) I recall that there was some mention of putting code into mtd to be more forgiving about bad packets / reads (due to scratches, dust, etc.).  Is there any code (or even pseudo code) written for this?  I'd be interested in experimenting with the coding, but I'm not quite sure where to start at this point.

Brian