[mythtv-users] Fresh Ubuntu server install - recomended Desktop?

Michael MacLeod mikemacleod at gmail.com
Thu Apr 5 17:08:19 UTC 2007

On 4/4/07, David Campbell <dave at cpfc.org> wrote:

> A JM wrote:
> > Thanks guys for the replys.
> >
> > Openbox looks interesting... is it a complete desktop manager? Could
> > you give a little more info on how your running Myth with it and how
> > it integrates into Ubuntu?
>
> I used to use openbox but unless you are running on a P3 or some low end
>   PC it really makes little difference in the machines performance IMVHO.

I'm using an AthlonXP 2500+, and while I'm sure it could handle using Gnome
or KDE, I just didn't see the point in loading those libraries up when they
wouldn't be used.

There is no integration with Ubuntu other than selecting openbox when
> you login via GDM or KDM.
>
> It just *works*

I have a custom xsession file, mythtv.xsession. I have GDM set to
automatically log in as the mythtv user using the mythtv xsession file. The
xsession file exec's a simple bash script, myth-startmythfrontend.sh. That
script does some tidying up of the environment, then launches mythfrontend&
and then exec's openbox.

Openbox used to annoy me because it used to forget the audio mixer
> settings every login plus I didn't know how to do alt +f3 or whatever to
> launch a shell when in myth to see what is going on without exiting -
> I'm sure it's possible but I never read any docs.

Reseting the audio mixer settings is one of the 'tidying up' tasks. Also,
launching gnome-screensaver, mounting my music from a remote server, making
sure my nvidia settings are correct, and launching irexec for my remote.

Openbox has four virtual desktops by default, so if I need a terminal or
something, I just ctrl+alt+-> to get the next desktop and open one there.
Works great.

> Personally I much prefer KDE because it's easy to sayon boot - login as
> mythtv and launch mythfrontend.  Kinda handy when other people have to
> access mythtv when you aren't there.

With the automatic login from GDM, plus setting the timed login to also
login to the mythtv user, it works great. The timed login is so that my room
mates can just restart X, without restarting the whole computer, and it'll
still login for them. Did I mention that Openbox loads much faster than
gnome, so they can get back to watching faster?

I've trained the room mates to restart X, because it's a combined
frontend/backend, and I don't want recordings being interrupted by a reboot.

Dave

Mike