[mythtv-users] CentOS and Mythtv

Jarod Wilson jarod at wilsonet.com
Thu Apr 5 16:00:56 UTC 2007

On Thursday 05 April 2007 10:25:03 Tom Lichti wrote:
> Dale Christ wrote:
> > Has anyone tried using CentOS (I's probably use 5 when it completes
> > beta) for MythTV?  I'm curious to see if it more stable than Fedora
> > Core 6.  Thanks.
>
> I have a CentOS 4.4 frontend only running current SVN, and it works
> fine, no problems. I haven't tried it as a backend though.

RHEL4/CentOS4 blows for a backend, at least if HDTV figures into the equation.
Most DVB drivers don't build on such an aged kernel. RHEL5/CentOS5 doesn't
have drivers out of the box for most capture cards either, but they can be
built and provided via kernel module rpms (and Axel is already planning to do
so). EL5 should indeed make for a rather nice platform.

Out of curiosity, what exactly has been unstable with FC6? I've never had any
issues with it myself, outside of the occasional kernel regression (i.e.,
cx88-dvb autoload breaking, but we have that fixed in the next kernel release
after 2.6.20-1.2933.fc6).

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod at wilsonet.com