[mythtv-users] Scan for channels not working with 2.6.20 kernel

sj_pereira shelby_jp at estreet.com
Thu Apr 5 04:04:59 UTC 2007

Hi list members,

I just subscribed since I'm starved for info.  I spent last weekend getting
my first Myth box up and working when I ran into this channel scan not
working problem.  I have two pchdtv-3000 cards in a converted Dell server
SC420/P4 2.8G box.  I've been trying to follow the howto on Jarod's web site
(which I'm thankful for).  Obviously, I'm stuck at the moment and I was
wondering if anyone can tell me how to get from where I'm at now to a system
that will record my over the air digital channels.

Can I downgrade the packages to an earlier verison that doesn't have the
problem?  What SU commands would I run to do that?  I've done a 'yum -y
upgrade' as recently as yesterday.  So I believe everything is up to date
using the ATRPMs in the howto web site.  But still no dice with the Digital
tuner in Myth.  I was able to scan for digital channels from the command
prompt using the DVB utilities that I also installed using the KDE
installer.

Shall I try mythdora 3.2?  I'd rather not since I've put a lot of time into
getting FC6 on this box, and I'd hate to start all over again.  But if
that's my best option right now, I'll do it.

I suppose the other option is to compile and install from source, but I
haven't looked into that yet.  I did end up having to compile the Nvidia
driver kernel interface, which was easy after getting the right libs.  I'll
take a wild guess and suggest that compiling the Myth package is at least an
order of magnitude more difficult :-)

Also, I ran into the DVB module loading problem.  I'm not sure how I fixed
it, but the /dev directories are now showing up after cold boot.  I think
that installing the DVR packages from the KDE add/remove software list
changed something that fixed the DVB module load.  Is that possible?  I know
I didn't do the other suggestions that I've seen on this list :-)  Anyway,
the DVB issue was fixed before I used the DVB utilities to check my
pchdtv3000s.

Regards,
-David

Partial message copied from on-line list archive: