[mythtv-users] Mythbackend stops <defunct>

JS Boyd mythtv at futures.com
Thu Apr 5 03:27:24 UTC 2007

I see these also. Usually caused by viewing "Live TV." I was told it was
caused by the IVTV driver or using SMP on the AMD64.

See my config in the sig. However, I recently updated to SVN 13181 and
haven't seen a defunct mythbackend with it... yet.

Kevin Kuphal wrote:
> I recently upgraded my kernel to 2.6.20.1 from a Redhat 9 system in
> order to move my DVB HD cards from my slave backend into my master
> backend.  Everything seems to be working fine except that after a period
> of time (not related to any recording schedule, just after a while) the
> backend will become unresponsive and if I shut it down, it gets stuck as
> a <defunct> process.
>
> Does anyone know what <defunct> means.  It does not let go of it's ports
> so I cannot start it back up again and it seems to hold onto the ivtv
> and dvb drivers as well which leads me to believe that it is still
> "alive" in some way.
>
> [root at mythtv root]# ps -elf | grep mythbackend
> 0 R root     11697 11484  0  78   0 -   918 -      09:13 pts/0
> 00:00:00 grep mythbackend
> 5 Z root     12262     1  1  78   0 -     0 exit   Apr02 ?
> 00:29:26 [mythbackend] <defunct>
>
> Any help would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> Kevin

==
Ubuntu Edgy 6.10
MythTV 0.20 SVN 16218 == checkinstalled
AMD 64 x2 4200+ 65W Energy Efficient Processor
Abit NF-N2 nView Motherboard
NVidia 6150 video VGA/DVI
PVR-500 (Phillips Chipset)
 IVTV 0.7.0-2+2.6.17.1-10.34