[mythtv-users] Myth Front End can't connect with database

Bruce Markey bjm at lvcm.com
Wed Apr 4 23:53:50 UTC 2007

Lan Barnes wrote:
> OK, how does one go about "adding *all* my machine's names, addresses, and
> variations, to the mysql database"?

You only need to add the ones it asks for. For me, this has
only ever been 'localhost', the local hostname or the wildcard
IP address.

> Database error was:
> Access denied for user 'mythtv'@'xena' (using password: YES)

This says that a TCP connection was made but the application
did not want to accept an unknown user for "'mythtv'@'xena'"
I use "bind-address = 0.0.0.0" and using a specific address
may affect how it resolves host names. I'm not sure.

: bjm at moktoo ; cat ~/.mythtv/mysql.txt
str DBHostName=nordtv
str DBUserName=mythtv
str DBPassword=mythtv
str DBName=mythconverg

and at "nordtv"

: bjm at nordtv ; mysql -u root mysql
mysql> select Host,User from user where user='mythtv';
+-----------+--------+
| Host      | User   |
| 192.168.% | mythtv |
| localhost | mythtv |
| nordtv    | mythtv |

accepts any connection from any other host.

Finally (or firstly), MySQL docs and support are at
http://www.mysql.com/ .

Hope this helps,

--  bjm