[mythtv-users] Weird build requirements

jedi at mishnet.org jedi at mishnet.org
Wed Apr 4 21:46:30 UTC 2007

> On 4/4/07, Ben Lancaster <lists at benlancaster.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>> On 4 Apr 2007, at 19:33, Shane Hickey wrote:
[deletia]
>> Quiet? Perhaps a fanless zalman reservator - uses passive cooling but
>> requires you to run a standalone heat exchange.
>>
>> > Anyone have any suggestions on hardware?  I started to think maybe
>> > a mini-ITX mobo with a P4 or something, but I was concerned that
>> > it'd be tougher to cool.  So, I wanted to see if anyone had any ideas.
>>
>> Actually, I've found that Intel's run significantly cooler than the
>> AMDs (my 3200+ ran at around 40°C, my 2.8 P4 is running at 27°C as I

    I have a thermaltake aftermarket fan on my 3000+ and it tends
to run at around 31C if the doors to my entertainment center are
open. My 3500+ runs at 40C with a stock fan under similar conditions.
Both of these run at the same temperature regardless of cpu activity.
The 3000+ runs at 40C when it's enclosed in the entertainment center
with the stereo that throws off an insane amount of heat.

    With the frontend running the 3000+, my biggest problem was noise
from the fan in the PSU. My cheap thermaltake fan has been quiet enough
and uses the standard connector clips.

    As another point of reference, my Athlon laptop has been running at
80C for over 3 years at this point.

[deletia]