[mythtv-users] Weird build requirements

Nick Morrott knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Wed Apr 4 21:35:24 UTC 2007

On 04/04/07, Ben Lancaster <lists at benlancaster.co.uk> wrote:

> On 4 Apr 2007, at 19:33, Shane Hickey wrote:
>
> > His TV is a monstrosity so video-out quality is going to be
> > important to him.  I think he'd prefer composite out from the video
> > card and DVI-out might work, but I think his satellite system is
> > using his TVs only DVI input today, so he'd need a DVI switchbox or
> > something.
>
> If he's mad on picture, VGA's out of the question. You can get a part-
> way decent picture from s-video provided he's willing to spend big
> bucks on the right cable, and he's running a CRT TV. Absolutely no
> good for anything HD.

For best picture quality, you really only want to look at component,
VGA or DVI/HDMI. S-Video and composite are definitely not in the same
category. I'm using a homebuilt VGA->RGB SCART cable and it's
noticeably better than S-Video or composite, even on a 36" CRT.

> > He's really looking for something that's as thin as possible (case-
> > wise).  But, quiet is the biggest priority.

Fanless EPIA system? You could use a CF-IDE adapter. You might also
want to look at the pricey Hush systems. What sort of usage/uptime is
expected?

Nick
--
MythTV Official wiki: