[mythtv-users] Data Direct "service"

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Wed Apr 4 16:39:17 UTC 2007

On 04/04/2007 12:33 PM, Donald Webster wrote:
> On 4/4/07, Rich West <Rich.West at wesmo.com> wrote:
>
>> Chris Pinkham wrote:

>>> And we don't want to know.  Besides the fact that the devs have asked
>>> people not to talk about downloading recordings like this on the mailing
>>> lists, it also isn't too bright to post about it in a public 'forum'
>>> like this which is logged and searchable via multiple methods.
>>>
>> Ouch.  Talk about taking it the wrong way.  Chill..  And try not go out
>> of your way to be so offensive with comments like "it also isn't too
>> bright".  Personally, I couldn't care less (both about the way the
>> response was worded and the fact that I admitted to downloading an
>> episode of a show after watching the first 45 minutes only to find it
>> was truncated (thus missing the critical end) because of a scheduling
>> shift) but you might get the wrong reaction from others.
>>
> Holey cow, the horse is dead, made into glue, sold to 1st graders who
> eat it.  Quit punching those poor 1st graders!

This is another horse, entirely...

As long as people are being offensive with discussion of activities that
are illegal in some areas and the topic of which is forbidden on these
lists, Chris--one of the Myth devs--has every right to be "offensive" in
saying that you're asking for trouble by publicly admitting to these
activities.  And, yes, I am offended by the discussion of downloading
copyrighted material without first proving you have the express written
permission of the copyright owners.

TTBOMK (speaking as a non-developer), MythTV is not designed to aid in
the illegal distribution or consumption of copyrighted material and the
MythTV developers do /not/ support the use of MythTV for illegal
activities (including recording and posting, or even just playing back,
illegally-obtained copyrighted materials).

As Chris said, the devs--including Isaac, the list owner--have said that
posting about copyright infringement of any sort is prohibited on these
lists.  Therefore--regardless of whether you could or could not care
less that people know you're infringing on some copyright owners'
rights--please keep these posts off the list.

Mike