[mythtv-users] Detecting / Recovering from HD channel broadcast changes?

Donald Webster fryfrog at gmail.com
Wed Apr 4 16:37:16 UTC 2007

I just had the same problem.  I'm pretty sure that Comcast in my area
re-mapped what channels everything was on.  I was also doing some
experimenting with my firewire setup at the time, so I didn't realize
it was happening.  Looking back, I recall some odd sized recordings or
failures and now think it was due to the changes.

I don't know of any good way to get them.

Once you rescan, how do you recover?  Does the scan yield useful
channel names or anything?  I am having to go through about 200
channels, 180 of which won't really *tune* and usually end up failing,
crashing the fe or the be after 4 or 5 channels.  It makes finding the
good ones a pain in the ass.

On 4/4/07, Todd Ignasiak <ignasiak at gmail.com> wrote:
> Has anyone else run into this?  It happens infrequently enough that I
> usually just fix it and forget it..
>
> Occasionally, my cable company changes the channel settings for my HD
> (QAM256) stations.   Actually, I'm not sure if it's the cable company,
> or the broadcast from the station .  But, some way or another, the
> channel info (PIDs?) are changing, and MythTV cannot view/record them.
>    After I notice a few missed recordings, I can go into mythtv-setup
> and rescan the channel and it works again.  MythTV doesn't seem to be
> as forgiving as some other devices to these changes.
>
> Has anyone else run into this, or found a good way to detect and/or
> recover from it?
>
> Maybe a polling script that compares the current info to the MythTV
> settings & alerts you to changes could at least find the issue before
> it causes failures.
>
> Or, is there already some way to get MythTV to alert me when a
> recording fails?  As it is now, it just happily tries to record the
> whole program, and the status says it is recording, but there is no
> file output.     A more aggressive alerting/recovery mechanism would
> be nice.

AIM: fryfrog
ICQ: 304825
WWW: http://www.fryfrog.com