[mythtv-users] Running Game Console and Need Help

Adam Branaugh abranaugh at gmail.com
Wed Apr 4 16:08:38 UTC 2007

Thats the thing, I am not using a TV, I am using a computer monitor.
I guess I will have order a VGA to RCA cable and run that through the
second input on my monitor from monoprice.  Can someone please tell me
if this cable would do what I want it to do?  I would connect the Red
and White cables to my reciever and then the yellow cable to the
adapter, the vga to the second input.
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=104&cp_id=10401&cs_id=1040113&p_id=2509&seq=1&format=2&style=

Sorry for the questions I am new to linux and do not know much about
tuner cards.

Thanks,
Adam

On 4/4/07, Rich West <Rich.West at wesmo.com> wrote:
> Carl Fongheiser wrote:
> > On 4/4/07, *Adam Branaugh* <abranaugh at gmail.com
> > <mailto:abranaugh at gmail.com>> wrote:
> >
> >     Hello everyone,
> >
> >     I recently got a Playstation 2 for free and would like to hook it up
> >     to myth to play (I only have a monitor and no TV), I get video to
> >     display fine but the button response takes a couple seconds.  I
> >     relized the problem here was that Myth was recording it so I tried the
> >     same thing with mplayer and had the same problem.  Xawtv and TVtime
> >     does not work with the PVR-150 card.  So my question is how can I
> >     bypass recording everything that is going on so I can play the games
> >     without any delay when I push a button?  I don't need it to play in
> >     the myth player I can use another player but which one should I use?
> >
> >     Just a reminder I am using the Hauppauge PVR-150
> >

> > Sorry, that's a fact of life.  There's always going to be a slight
> > delay when you're using one of these cards.  The easiest way to fix
> > this is to get a cheap framegrabber card, and use that for your PS2.
> > You can then use xawtv or tvtime with the framegrabber card, and let
> > MythTV keep using the PVR-150.
>
> I'm assuming your TV doesn't have additional inputs... Rather than
> buying a cheap framegrabber card, just buy an even cheaper A/B switch
> box.  The minor inconvenience it may cause to have you perform the
> manual step of flipping the switch when you want to use the PS2 is well
> worth the overall gaming experience.
>
> By design, frame grabber cards, regardless of what brand, always add a
> bit of a delay.  Some more than others, but it is still a delay.  A
> PVR-150's delay is pretty hefty.
>
> I don't know about you, but when I am playing GOW on my PS2 (can't let
> the kids see it, though), any bit of a delay can be the difference
> between winning and losing a key battle..  :)
>
> -Rich

You have just recieved a message from Adam Branaugh