[mythtv-users] Myth Front End can't connect with database

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Wed Apr 4 16:04:47 UTC 2007

Trey Thompson wrote:
>     Newbie. I installed mythfrontend plus dependencies on my laptop
>     using the
>     MythDora 3.2 DVD image. The back end is MythDora as well. I changed the
>     back end from 127.0.0.1 <http://127.0.0.1> (two places, same screen
>     in mythsetup) to
>     192.168.1.66 <http://192.168.1.66> (IP mildly changed to give
>     pitifully little protection). Myth
>     on the server still works, so I assume the changes took in both places.
>
>     mythconverge user and password mythtv/mythtv, the default.
>
>     On the server as root, I ran:
>
>     mysql -u root mythconverge
>
>     Then, in mysql> I ran
>
>     grant all on mythconverge.* to mythtv@" 192.168.1.%" identified as
>     "mythtv";
>
>     flush privileges;
>
>     Both returned with 0 records updated, which I accepted as success
>     (because
>     I didn't expect any recoprds to change).
>
>     Now when I go into mythfrontend on the laptop, it goes into the config
>     screens with the message that it can't connect with the database.
>
>     What should I check/do?
>
>     --
>     Lan Barnes
>
>     SCM Analyst              Linux Guy
>     Tcl/Tk Enthusiast        Biodiesel Brewer

> I'm not an expert, so don't trust me...  :)  But, what's in your mythtv
> users mysql.txt file on the frontend?  Mine is located at
> /home/mythtv/.mythtv/mysql.txt
>
> Make sure the DBHostName, DBUserName and DBPassword are all correct.
> DBName is mythconverg obviously.

Other possibilities: (1) check that skip-networking is commented out in
my.cnf (both ends) (and restart mysql!) (2) look for other copies of
mysql.txt - myth seems to scatter them all over the system. Just because
you fixed one doesn't mean that's the one myth is using.

Oh, and the mysql permissions - that's a fun one I came across. Used
192.168.x.% as address in the permissions just as you did - rebooted
both both FE and BE, and mysql changed to wanting the machine name,
rather than the address. WTF? I hadn't changed anything software-wise,
just shut everything down so I could put the BE back in it's cupboard,
and tidy up the cables.

Solution? In my case, adding *all* my machine's names, addresses, and
variations, to the mysql database.

Mike Perkins