[mythtv-users] Running Game Console and Need Help

Rich West Rich.West at wesmo.com
Wed Apr 4 15:56:50 UTC 2007

Carl Fongheiser wrote:
> On 4/4/07, *Adam Branaugh* <abranaugh at gmail.com
> <mailto:abranaugh at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     Hello everyone,
>
>     I recently got a Playstation 2 for free and would like to hook it up
>     to myth to play (I only have a monitor and no TV), I get video to
>     display fine but the button response takes a couple seconds.  I
>     relized the problem here was that Myth was recording it so I tried the
>     same thing with mplayer and had the same problem.  Xawtv and TVtime
>     does not work with the PVR-150 card.  So my question is how can I
>     bypass recording everything that is going on so I can play the games
>     without any delay when I push a button?  I don't need it to play in
>     the myth player I can use another player but which one should I use?
>
>     Just a reminder I am using the Hauppauge PVR-150
>

> Sorry, that's a fact of life.  There's always going to be a slight
> delay when you're using one of these cards.  The easiest way to fix
> this is to get a cheap framegrabber card, and use that for your PS2.
> You can then use xawtv or tvtime with the framegrabber card, and let
> MythTV keep using the PVR-150.

I'm assuming your TV doesn't have additional inputs... Rather than
buying a cheap framegrabber card, just buy an even cheaper A/B switch
box.  The minor inconvenience it may cause to have you perform the
manual step of flipping the switch when you want to use the PS2 is well
worth the overall gaming experience.

By design, frame grabber cards, regardless of what brand, always add a
bit of a delay.  Some more than others, but it is still a delay.  A
PVR-150's delay is pretty hefty.

I don't know about you, but when I am playing GOW on my PS2 (can't let
the kids see it, though), any bit of a delay can be the difference
between winning and losing a key battle..  :)

-Rich