[mythtv-users] Mythbackend stops <defunct>

Kevin Kuphal kuphal at dls.net
Wed Apr 4 14:15:35 UTC 2007

I recently upgraded my kernel to 2.6.20.1 from a Redhat 9 system in
order to move my DVB HD cards from my slave backend into my master
backend.  Everything seems to be working fine except that after a period
of time (not related to any recording schedule, just after a while) the
backend will become unresponsive and if I shut it down, it gets stuck as
a <defunct> process.

Does anyone know what <defunct> means.  It does not let go of it's ports
so I cannot start it back up again and it seems to hold onto the ivtv
and dvb drivers as well which leads me to believe that it is still
"alive" in some way.

[root at mythtv root]# ps -elf | grep mythbackend
0 R root     11697 11484  0  78   0 -   918 -      09:13 pts/0
00:00:00 grep mythbackend
5 Z root     12262     1  1  78   0 -     0 exit   Apr02 ?
00:29:26 [mythbackend] <defunct>

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Kevin