[mythtv-users] Data Direct "service"

Yeechang Lee ylee at pobox.com
Wed Apr 4 14:09:26 UTC 2007

Brad DerManouelian <myth at dermanouelian.com> says:
> I hate to prolong this, but the message that got him banned was in
> fact trying to get a response of "We know it's a problem and are
> working on it."

In a way that I at first glance and--more importantly--The Powers that
Be at Tribune Media Services interpreted as antagonistic. In TMS's
case, antagonistic enough to justify banning him.

When Bruce posted there were already a half-dozen threads in three
diffferent forums with people reporting the issue. That's why I didn't
bother chiming in myself; what more was there to say? My only posting
on the issue was intended to, like Bruce's in part, attempt to correct
a user who had a mistaken impression of how and why MythTV dealt with
generic TV episodes.

> They *do* benefit from providing this service as much as we benefit
> from it. It's mutually agreeable.

I agree both parties benefit. I disagree that TMS benefits as much as
any one of us does. I view the DataDirect service as a novel way to
build goodwill among its users, to reduce network load on its servers,
and to perhaps gain some interesting demographic data. We get access
to program data, the quantity, quality, and accessability of which our
British, continental European, and Australian friends would kill
for.

Even now, it's not like the data feed has completely died; it's just
been somewhat (not completely; a lot of my TV shows still carry
complete episode description data) degraded. At some point--which I
expect will occur sooner rather than later--the feed will be fixed and
all will be well with the world again. Until then, I think I'll
survive somehow.