[mythtv-users] M2NPV, nvidia/X11 settings

Mark A. O'Neil mark.a.oneil at Dartmouth.EDU
Wed Apr 4 13:43:06 UTC 2007

On Apr 4, 2007, at 16:57, Steven Ellis wrote:

>> So here is the problem - and I think - this is less a 'problem' and
>> more a configuration issue - either for the on board nvidia 6150 or
>> the recording profile.
>>
>> Simply put: playback of the desktop and recorded video is fuzzy,
>> viewable, but slightly fuzzy, while playback from DVD or DVD-on-
>> Harddrive media is awesome. This is the case using any of the
>> outputs.
>>
>> I think the issue is resolution interpolation...either at the
>> hardware/video level, the recording profile, or both. Though I am
>> thinking it is more hardware than MythTV profiles, as the desktop
>> itself displays fuzzily - perhaps nvidia/x11 settings are the place
>> to start?
>>
>> The projector has a native resolution of 1280x720 and I cannot get
>> the 6150 to output that nor can I seem to raise the scan rate much
>> above 50 even though I have NTSC set in the bios etc....
>
> Ok you missed out a couple of things.
>
> 1. How are connecting to the projector?
>
> 2. I'm assuming you are using MPEG2 PVR cards with the ivtv driver to
> capture video - what bitrate are you capturing at?
>
> If you want 720p resolution you need to use HDMI, DVI, VGA or
> component
> cables.
>
> For 720p try the following modeline
>
>  ModeLine       "1280x720_60" 74.250 1280 1390 1430 1650 720 725
> 730 750
> +hsync +vsync

Steve,

1: The projector is currently connected via the TV-out s-video of the
M2NPV. I have tested output to the projector using s-video and the
component outs, but not the DVI, HDMI as I do not have those cables.
VGA was fuzzy on the CRT monitor I have. Output on the LCD TV (a
vintage 2006 westinghouse) via s-video is substantially better than
the CRT vga and s-video to the projector. Possibly not 'perfect' but
easily readable etc.

2: Yes both the PVRs are capturing with the ivtv driver. I am at work
now and do not have the bitrate of capture (and am not certain where
to find it, but I'll look into that). I am fairly certain, given I do
not recall setting/changing it, either in the ivtv install or Myth
config, that it is whatever the defaults are.

If I am following correctly you are suggesting this may be
addressable via proper setting of X11, the capture bitrate, and using
component. I will add the ModeLine you suggest to my xorg.conf.
Switch to my component cabling and I will also look into what the
capture bitrate is set to.

Thank you,

-m