[mythtv-users] Data Direct "service"

Mark Oliver mark_oliver at java2000.com
Wed Apr 4 00:55:53 UTC 2007

Yeechang Lee wrote:
> Bruce Markey <bjm at lvcm.com> says:
>
> [...]
>
>> - DD was not provided merely as a favor to it's users but was
>> created in response excessive traffic from scrapers like XMLTV.
>>
>> - If description information is not available from DD but is
>> from tvlistings.com this will surely lead to people using
>> scrapers which would increase tvlistings.com traffic ten fold
>> then one-hundred fold or more.
>>
>> - Therefore it is in everyones best interest that TMS take this
>> issue seriously.
>>

> Bruce, I hate to say it but the first reaction I had upon reading the
> above (not to mention your choice of subject line) was that you were
> issuing a threat
Except that Bruce provided a historical context for a future prediction,
which means that he is pointing to a rational reason for an expected
consequence where the expected consequence cannot be attributed to Bruce
(he presents his reason(s) for why he thinks something will happen).
That is to say that Bruce is not making a threat, but he is pointing to
a potential threat and arguing that it is a real threat.
> of the DataDirect servers melting down if the
> data-accuracy issue isn't fixed pronto. "Not I," you will surely
> say.
What he will or will not say is NOT part of his argument and is simple
conjecture on your part.  Your reading this into his argument probably
helps explain why you reacted the way that you did.
> [...]  I agree that a fix of the data really is best for all
> parties. However, I know better than to make any kind of ultimatum
Bruce's if/then statement can only be viewed as an ultimatum if you
misread that part of his argument by taking it out of context.
> [...] But guess what?  *TMS knows this
> very well*, and its employees don't need your or anyone else lecturing
> them about it.
Probably a matter of perspective, as I saw Bruce's words as more of a
kick-in-the-pants, which it appears that at least someone at TMS needed,
and for which Bruce deserves thanks.

mark oliver