[mythtv-users] Data Direct "service"

Gabe Rubin gaberubin at gmail.com
Tue Apr 3 23:38:46 UTC 2007

On 4/3/07, f-myth-users at media.mit.edu <f-myth-users at media.mit.edu> wrote:

> More to the point, does getting banned interrupt your ability to
> fetch data from your DD login?  I would hope that the two are in
> fact completely separate, but now might be a good time to run
> mythfilldatabase and find out... :/

more to the point, is there any reason to antagonize the directdata
service?  I realize this is a frustrating issue, leading to
duplicitous recordings, wasted tuner usage, and conflicts, but if TMS
decides that the myth-community is threatening them (whether a correct
analysis or not), it can shut down the directdata service completely,
and perhaps take technological means to end (or at least make
prohibitively difficult, time consuming, and frustrating) screen
scraping.  Where does that leave N. America users?  With a fine piece
of hardware that is incapable of providing ANY listings, much less
listings with accurate, non-generic program descriptions.

Really, this is a service that we do not pay money for and provides
key functionality for our mythboxes.  While it is not perfect, TMS has
acknowledged the problem and is working to resolve the issue.  I
personally will take that, and hope that TMS does not decide to shut
the door on us.  We are TMS customers in the vaguest sense of the
word; TMS owes us nothing, and has really asked for nothing in return
(subscription just requires a renewal now, not even survey questions).
 So again, why is it we would antagonize a company that provides
critical infrastructure to myth?