[mythtv-users] Chicagoland services - Comcast, WoW, DirectTV, Dish...

Donald Webster fryfrog at gmail.com
Tue Apr 3 19:16:00 UTC 2007

I should mention I also pick up QAM HD broadcast stations too, with a
pair of air2pc pci cards.  So there are some options.  Of course, I
could also stick an aerial out the windows.

Kevin, did you have to channel scan and manually figure out what each
of the 6ish stations was?  I think comcast may have recently re-mapped
the channels and now I think I have to hunt them down again :/

On 4/3/07, Kevin Kuphal <kuphal at dls.net> wrote:
> Andrew Close wrote:
> > hey all,
> >
> > i've decided to make the jump from over-the-air SD to (arguably)
> > better quality (possibly HD) service.  from what i understand i have
> > the choice of the four services listed in the subject.  i know there
> > are pros/cons to cable vs satellite, but i haven't really seen them
> > quantified.  i didn't see anything on the wiki regarding services and
> > what you can('t) do with them.
> > DirectTV looks appealing because it's fairly cheap and they'll be
> > adding 100+ HD channels this fall; but that doesn't do me much good if
> > i can't record them...
> > can anyone point me to some unbiased reviews regarding satellite vs
> > cable?  or can you share your experiences?
> > i do plan on being HD capable in the next couple months, i'm
> > researching displays now.  my current hardware limits me to SD (AMD
> > XP1500+, PVR-250, PVR-500) but i'm looking at adding more power and an
> > HD capture device (or two).
> > any suggestions or do's & don'ts regarding services and the hardware needed?
> >
> I'm in Chicagoland (Go Cubs!) and I'm on Comcast.  I get QAM delivery of
> broadcast HD (CBS, NBC, ABC, FOX, WGN/CW, WPWR (SD in HD), etc) but do
> not get any "premium" HD (Discovery) and I am on their $15/mo. plan.  I
> think that is a pretty good offering.
>
> I don't know if they run firewire any different off their boxes.
>
> As for satellite, forget it for HD.  You'll be recording anything off
> the dish using an analog card (PVR style).
>
> Kevin

AIM: fryfrog
ICQ: 304825
WWW: http://www.fryfrog.com