[mythtv-users] Chicagoland services - Comcast, WoW, DirectTV, Dish...

Donald Webster fryfrog at gmail.com
Tue Apr 3 19:00:48 UTC 2007

If you already have cable, its definitely worth the small amount of
money it costs to see if they have firewire.  If it works, it is
pretty sweet.  Course, after 5 years you may end up having paid $500
for your "HD Tuner" :(

If you want HD from sat, their own DVR is probably the only way to go.
 Are they any good?  I hear DTV dumped tivo and made their own.

Of course, there is nothing wrong with OTA HD.  I mean, cable only
adds another 5 or 6 HD channels anyway.  The major networks will cover
most of the "big" shows.  With Comcast, I get TNTHD and DiscoveryHD as
the only ones I care about.  I think I also get ESPN and such, but
blah.  And MTVHD, blah.  If I paid for HBO (and the others) I'd also
get that in HD.  Not bad, but I don't pay for em.

On 4/3/07, Andrew Close <aclose at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 4/3/07, Donald Webster <fryfrog at gmail.com> wrote:
> <snip />
> > Cable at least offers the *chance* of firewire, and if you already
> > have cable it is probably worth the $5-20 bucks it'd cost to rent an
> > HD tuner from the cable co for a month to see if a) they have firewire
> > (its an fcc requirement) b) have firewire enabled and c) that it isn't
> > 5C'd on all the channels you care about.
>
> 5C'd == encrypted?
>
> 5C DTCP - 5 company Digital Transmission Content Protection. An HDTV
> copy-protection encryption method for devices connected via FireWire,
> this allows one of three copy states: copy always (all ATSC broadcast
> and "in the clear" QAM cable broadcasts); copy once (premium cable);
> and, copy never (pay per view, video-on-demand). Bidirectional system
> requires 5C chips in every device in an A/V system (in other words, a
> set-top box, a TV, and so on); the TV "requests" acknowledgment before
> allowing the signal to be viewed or recorded. Proposed and sponsored
> by Hitachi, Intel, Matsushita (Panasonic), Sony, and Toshiba--the five
> companies.
>
> Thanks for the reply.
>
> so now i wonder, "what's the point???"   is the future really as bleak
> as it seems?  i guess i carry on with my Myth hobby and use it to
> record analogue programs and just hope that the HDCP gets hacked
> sooner rather than later...

AIM: fryfrog
ICQ: 304825
WWW: http://www.fryfrog.com