[mythtv-users] TV out for unlisted card?

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Tue Apr 3 18:39:53 UTC 2007

On Apr 3, 2007, at 12:24 PM, Rod Smith wrote:

> On Monday 02 April 2007 21:54, Angus wrote:
>> Rod Smith wrote:
>>> I assume this means you're intending to use some other video
>>> source --
>>> Internet downloads, DVDs, or whatever. Such sources might or
>>> might not
>>> use the MPEG-2 encoding for which XvMC support can be useful
>>
>>     Correct on the Internet downloads. I also imagined viewing
>> streaming
>> sources, but that's starting to look like an unsupported feature.
>>     There's something I don't understand about XvMC though. Why is
>> any
>> is any coprocessing necessary for TV out anyway? From what I remember
>> about slow CPUs 800MHz is plenty of smarts to decode your typical
>> MPEG.

FWIW Dell stopped putting hardware MPEG decoders into their machines
for DVD playback about the time their CPUs hit 500Mhz. Of course the
DVD playback software they were shipping may well have been highly
optimized.

I think the MPEG2 content of DVDs would be as close to "typical" for
SD as you can get.

Brian Wood
beww at beww.org