[mythtv-users] Chicagoland services - Comcast, WoW, DirectTV, Dish...

Andrew Close aclose at gmail.com
Tue Apr 3 18:24:03 UTC 2007

hey all,

i've decided to make the jump from over-the-air SD to (arguably)
better quality (possibly HD) service.  from what i understand i have
the choice of the four services listed in the subject.  i know there
are pros/cons to cable vs satellite, but i haven't really seen them
quantified.  i didn't see anything on the wiki regarding services and
what you can('t) do with them.
DirectTV looks appealing because it's fairly cheap and they'll be
adding 100+ HD channels this fall; but that doesn't do me much good if
i can't record them...
can anyone point me to some unbiased reviews regarding satellite vs
cable?  or can you share your experiences?
i do plan on being HD capable in the next couple months, i'm
researching displays now.  my current hardware limits me to SD (AMD
XP1500+, PVR-250, PVR-500) but i'm looking at adding more power and an
HD capture device (or two).
any suggestions or do's & don'ts regarding services and the hardware needed?

thanks a bunch
andy