[mythtv-users] Data Direct "service"

Rich West Rich.West at wesmo.com
Tue Apr 3 18:09:46 UTC 2007

Bruce Markey wrote:
> FYI
>
> DataDirect has recently introduced a bug where updates to
> the DataDirect are not handled correctly causing episodes
> to have generic descriptions when delivered through the
> DataDirect service whereas the descriptions are available
> through tvlistings.com . Although several users have posted
> specific issues to the forums at labs.zap2it.com, no one
> from TMS has posted any messages acknowledging the issue.
>
> <..snip..>
> Though there appear to be few if any posts from tms* usernames
> in recent months, this drew a response within minutes:
>
> "You have been banned from this forum. Please contact the
> webmaster or board administrator for more information."

Ouch!  I'm pretty surprised their reaction was such a 'knee-jerk'
reaction rather than a direct email or PM to your account with a warning
or something...

I stumbled on to the same problem that you posted about.  My wife
records "The Amazing Race", and I had to download the last two from
tvtorrents.com because MythTV had flagged them as repeats and didn't
record them.

After digging, I discovered that the title and description for the past
few episodes had been generic, and, since she had set "Record New Only"
and "Match on title and description", MythTV did what it was supposed to
do: it flagged them as repeats since it matched.

I subsequently changed to to just record them all, but that is really
just a work-around (she doesn't want them all, I don't want the tuner
tied up recording stuff she doesn't want, she doesn't age them out, and
she doesn't want to manage aging out ones that she has already seen),
but I do have to agree with you.  If the data integrity from DataDirect
gets compromised, people will start looking for alternative solutions
that provide better accuracy.

-Rich