[mythtv-users] How do I kill a Live TV connection?

Richard Freeman r-mythtv at thefreemanclan.net
Tue Apr 3 10:44:39 UTC 2007

Brett Kosinski wrote:
>     I read that message carefully, looked carefully throughout the frontend
>     for a Delete menu that indicated current Live TV connections, and could
>     not find one. Every menu pointed to previously recorded programs. Care
>     to point out which Delete menu that message carefully points to?
>

> I had the same thing happen to me once... FE watching Live TV died, and
> mythbackend didn't notice for some reason, so I had a hanging Live TV
> connection.  The only solution I could come up with was to stop and
> restart mythbackend.  It's a big club, I know, but it worked.

I used to have this problem all the time - somebody would leave live TV
running and it would record shows all day long.  The front end would
crash for whatever reason leaving tuners locked up.  And, for whatever
reason the backend wouldn't use that tuner to record scheduled recordings.

The fix was to just get rid of the live TV menu option from the theme
files.  Sure, a bit of a pain, but at least scheduled recordings run
without babysitting when somebody forgets to hit the back button on the
remote.  I've gotten the impression that live TV doesn't get much
attention from the devs - I'm sure they'd apply patches if supplied, and
maybe even track down reproducible bugs, but I don't think many of the
devs even use live TV so they probably won't run into stuff like this on
their own.