[mythtv-users] Another live-tv sound related problem

Gary gwgrover at windstream.net
Tue Apr 3 01:47:41 UTC 2007

Date: Mon, 02 Apr 2007 18:56:26 -0400
From: "Michael T. Dean" <mtdean at thirdcontact.com>
Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] Another live-tv sound related problem
To: Discussion about mythtv <mythtv-users at mythtv.org>

On 04/02/2007 05:47 PM, Gary wrote:

> > Ensure that you've got the correct audio output device. To route audio through the default *ALSA* Mixer, change /dev/dsp to /ALSA:default/. To route the audio through *JACK*, change the setting to /JACK:/
> >
> > Now could someone please explain how to accomplish this????
>

> Use internal volume controls
> MythTV can control the PCM and master mixer volume.  If you prefer to
> use an external mixer program, then disable this option.
>
> Mixer Device
>
> Mixer Controls
>  - PCM
>  - Master
> Changing the volume adjusts the selected mixer.
>
> all in mythfrontend's Utilities/Setup|Settings|General Settings on page
> "Audio" (page 2, I think).
>
> If you use "/dev/dsp" (or one if its numbered siblings) for your Audio
> Output Device, use "/dev/mixer" (or numbered) for your Mixer Device.  If
> you use "ALSA:default" for your Audio Output Device, use "default" for
> your mixer device.
>
> If your sound card requires volume to be modified through some control
> other than PCM or Master or requires adjusting multiple controls (i.e.
> most sound cards require volume adjustments on all channels in a 5.1- or
> 7.1-channel configuration), you cannot use Myth's internal volume
> controls.  If this is the case, let me know and I'll give you some
> options (including one I'm in the process of creating for my non-Myth use).
>
> Mike
Thanks Mike --- I now have sound that I can control from mythtv using the keyboard.

Another related issue --- The vol level is not high enough, even with mythtv set at 100%.

I believe there is a command line method of effecting the sound level from the capture card; Do
you know what it is??   The capture card is a PVR150 (the one with no radio tuner and no remote)