[mythtv-users] Commercial skip & next weeks preview

Matt skd5aner at gmail.com
Mon Apr 2 22:33:11 UTC 2007

On 4/2/07, Michael T. Dean <mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:
> On 04/02/2007 04:31 PM, Tom Lichti wrote:
> > Michael T. Dean wrote:

> >> However, it seems that no-one made the changes that Chris Pinkham had
> >> mentioned (
> >> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/217500#217500 ) so
> >> that it would work with auto-skip enabled.  I thought I remembered
> >> someone having coded a patch and it being committed (and didn't feel
> >> like changing my config to auto-skip and testing it), but I was wrong.
> >> Maybe next time I get some Myth-hacking time, I'll code up the patch so
> >> I'm right next time this comes up...
> > How about now? ;)
>
> I can't believe you just did that...  I was going to throw together the
> patch and mail it to you--completely untested--to let you do the hard
> part (the testing).
>
> Then, when I got in there, I started looking and found there's another
> place that needs updating for manual-skip mode.  As a matter of fact,
> it's the one that Chris mentioned here
> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/217500#217500 and
> that I unknowingly pointed out in the post to which Chris was responding
> and the one whose existence I subjectively disavowed in my response
> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/217645#217645 .  The
> reason I subjectively disavowed its existence is because my usage of
> MythTV (and most users' usage) makes the one forgotten place an extreme
> corner case.
>
> Unfortunately, one adjective that describes me better than "lazy" does
> is "compulsive," so once I found the bug, I couldn't walk away without
> stepping on it.  It was just as easy to test two cases as one, so,
> surprise (and enjoy the patch that will be up soon--unless I don't have
> enough time to do finish the build before How I Met Your Mother in 2 1/4
> hours)...
>
> Mike

I can not state enough how much a feature like this (specifically with
auto-skip) would increase the WAF factor exponentially - and my own.

Many shows have a quick 30 second ending, sometimes during the
credits.  Here's some that get skipped almost 99% of the time:
- The Colbert Report - Comedy Central
- King of Queens - CBS and Syndication
- My Name is Earl - NBC
- The Office - NBC

Also, as originally brought up, this will often skip previews for next
week on almost everything, but a few stick out in my mind that the
wife always makes me replay with commercial skip off so we don't miss
them:
- Lost - ABC
- Heros - NBC

I'm currently running SVN (13090 I believe) and do not see this
functionality.  The Wife hasn't noticed really any changes since at
least .17 or .18 besides a few minor things, but I can guarentee that
she would notice and appreciate this as it's one of her biggest
complaints.  I could care less about the previews, but it does irk me
pretty badly that I haven't seen the end of the Colbert Report in over
a year and I always have to re-watch and fast-foward to the end of
several shows to see the actual last 15-60 seconds of the show.

I'll give a big kudo's the Chris, Mike, or whatever developer
implements this functionality.   I was going to bring this topic up
sometime anyway, now I can just add my 2 cents.  :)

Thanks!
Matt