[mythtv-users] mencoder and NBC 1080i

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Mon Apr 2 22:08:47 UTC 2007

On 4/2/07, Mike Rosack <mrosack at sacknet.org> wrote:
> On 4/1/07, Steven Adeff <adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com> wrote:
> >  I would suggest loading the recording in avidemux and use the Decomb
> > telecide/Decomb decimate filter combination on a short section of the
> > recording. This is a port of Donald Grafts filters, for which the
> > doom9 forums have lots of information on. I find this is a much better
> > IVTC package than what mencoder has when the source material is poorly
> > processed.
>
> Thanks for the tip - avidemux worked great!

yea, sadly mencoder's ivtc just isn't that sophisticated, virtualdub
and some of the other windows softwares have much better codecs that
avidemux uses (or will soon be able to as he is writing the filters as
a plugin architecture). I find the Decomb Telecide/Decomb Decimate
combination is about as good as you'll get for the real screwed up
encodings, but I have seen it fail, at which point manual intervention
is required, which is a PITA.

> On 4/1/07, Jon <jon at sd-6.org> wrote:
> > Add harddup to your plugins, you'll still see the dup frame messages but
> > it will be smooth as silk with done.
>
> I still get choppy output with this solution - my source must be
> really screwed up. :(

WB in Boston? They used to be horrible, possibly still are, haven't
checked lately (I just started downloading Veronica Mars instead of
making my own backups...)

> > Also what ouput container are you using?  IIRC avi containers do not
> > properly handle h.264 b-frames properly, and mencoder doesn't mux mkv
> > properly.  Your better off setting up a fifo and piping mencoder to the
> > x264 binary.
> >

> I'm creating AVIs - I just got the x264encopts off a random webpage
> somewhere that said they were high quality settings, and the output
> looks great to me.

I like mkv over avi in general too, but I've found Myth's internal
player in 0.20 doesn't handle the fast-forward/rewind thing. I just
installed SVN, I'm hoping one of the recent ffmpeg merges fixes it,
though I haven't had the chance to test yet.

> Am I wasting a lot of processing time with the
> b-frame settings I have?

Possibly. Encoding is more an art than a science. Certain utilities
can help analyze and fine tune your settings, but in the end its takes
experience and a good concept of whats going on to get the most out of
it. If your really concerned, I would suggest getting a 5minute test
clip (various sources for an array of colors, black levels, movement,
etc) and try different settings. You'll find that depending on the
content the settings for optimal quality/encoding time will vary.

All in all it depends on how much you care about what your encoding.
There are one-size-fits-all solutions that will not waste too much
time/space though.

Also, the new avidemux lets you load your own matrices for xvid (and I
believe x264), which is great, you can get some good ones at the doom9
forums.

--
Steve
Before you ask, read the FAQ!