[mythtv-users] refresh zap2it listings OR proper use of mythfilldatabase command line options?

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Mon Apr 2 21:28:17 UTC 2007

NOTE: Apparently its a system wide issue. I checked their forum and
they know about the problem, just not whats causing it. Hopefully
they'll fix it ASAP.

more below....

On 4/2/07, Michael T. Dean <mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:
> On 04/02/2007 02:04 PM, Steven Adeff wrote:
> > I've noticed a lot of my listings show as either generic or wrong and
> > that zap2it's own TVListings.com has them properly displayed.
> >
> > So I thought if I run --refresh-all that this should clear that up,
> > but perhaps I'm using it wrong or perhaps zap2it's downloadable
> > listings aren't updated?
>
> The --refresh-all argument won't do anything that the daily download
> won't do anyway.  And, the daily download is better in that it gets the
> information for "tomorrow" (which is only a day away ;), so it's as
> up-to-date as it will be.  If you do a --refresh-all today, the +12 data
> is still so far out that it's a) unlikely to have changed since being
> provided by the networks and b) likely to be changed sometime in the future.
>
> The only reason getting "corrected" data would be useful is if you're
> trying to fix a conflict for some time in the future.  However, dare I
> say, since you're checking the zap2it listings to see if the data is
> there (which is much better than blindly wasting bandwidth) and they
> show the correct info, you could use them to fix the schedule for that
> day and let TMS make a few micro(nano?)-cents from the ads on the
> page(s) you hit.  :)
>
> If you're trying to get updates so you can disable recording of generic
> programs, just change the recording rule to disallow generics.
>
> In other words, is there some specific reason your data has to be "as
> up-to-date-as-possible"?
>
> OK, I realize I totally ignored your question, but with a bit more
> information about what it is you're trying to do, someone might be able
> to explain the best way to accomplish that task.
>
> /me thinks we should either a) remove the --refresh-all option b) remove
> the --refresh-all "documentation" from --help output, or c) at least
> make the --refresh-all description less "tempting" by changing "to catch
> the latest changes" to "in case you've completely horked your listings"

Well, for sports, a lot of times, they will not know the teams they
will be showing (especially for international soccer) until a day or
two before. So if Myth keeps the guide data from when it originally
retrieved it and never updates it, then it will never know. But, if by
default it *will* download updates like this then I won't worry about
it.

--
Steve
Before you ask, read the FAQ!