[mythtv-users] OT: which NAS-appliance can you recommand

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Mon Apr 2 19:56:11 UTC 2007

On 04/02/2007 03:31 PM, Yeechang Lee wrote:
> I wrote earlier:
>
>> By contrast, my current RAID 6 Clovertown-powered compute/storage
>> server can--in addition to having much, much more
>> space--simultaneously handle three HD recording streams, two HD
>> playback streams, four transcoding or realtime commflag jobs at "High"
>> priority, and a VMware virtual machine, without breathing hard.
> I realized that the above implies that a Clovertown quad core-based
> server is required to perform the above feats. While it helps, it's
> not necessarily true.
What I wondered is if you mean it can do all of the above at once or any
one of the above at once.  I.e. does it handle three HD recording stream
while doing 2 HD playback streams and doing four (transcoding|realtime
commflagging) jobs?  If so, I'm very interested in what throughput
you're getting on your (apparently gigabit) network (i.e. from an scp
/sftp or something).

> The Clovertown box--which also functions as a slave backend with no
> tuners--does all the transcoding and realtime commflagging for
> recordings whether located on itself or the frontend/backend, but of
> course a slower slave backend would work just as well.

Did you know you don't have to run mythbackend to do this?  Just right
the (comparatively lightweight) mythjobqueue daemon (making it a "job
queue server" rather than a slave backend), instead.

Mike