[mythtv-users] FireWire: Comcast removing 5C, channel changing now 100%

Yeechang Lee ylee at pobox.com
Mon Apr 2 19:12:23 UTC 2007

Steven Adeff <adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com> says:
> I'm in a somewhat large city in the North Eastern US.

Sorry about that; I for some reason thought you'd said in the past
that you were in the San Francisco Bay area. That said, progress
anywhere is a step towards progress everywhere.

> Since using single packet method in 6200ch I've had one bad channel
> change on the cumulative use of both my DCT6200's in the last 127+
> days.

You and I always had different experiences with the single-packet
method, for some reason. I might have to try it again, though; not
sure if I've tried it with Fedora Core 6.

> I've installed SVN (to get the firewire features that were in the
> mythtv-firewire branch but had since been merged)

What new FireWire features does trunk have?

> In my limited tests Sunday it seems to work a good deal better than
> 0.20-fixes for firewire recordings for me (I had lots of problems
> before), making my firewire HDTV recordings as good as my ATSC tuner
> cards (I have signal issues that Comcast refuses to fix that cause
> bad packets every so often, worse during prime time...).

Hmm. In my experience, under 0.20-fixes my ATSC recordings, barring
another issue like transient signal reception, always come in at the
stated elapsed time -5 to +3 seconds. With my current RAID 5/6 setup,
FireWire recordings usually come in at -5 seconds under elapsed time
or fewer, but sometimes I see more, up to -30; I'll have to check and
see if the time of day affects this.

> That said, I love being able to record InHD and MTV-HD,

[...]

Now you finally get a firsthand taste of what I'm always gushing
about. It's a pity you don't have HDNet Movies; I'd gladly give up all
my other non-movie HD cable channels over losing that.